Week 11: Jitters

Here we are! Almost there. I don't have a lot of time cause I need to go get my clothes all set and ready. My sister and her family are leaving the country tomorrow. So I need to get everything ready so I can run around saying goodbye and go pick up my Tri packet.
This week, I have been on my bike and in the pool. And working hard.
And on Sunday the Tri happens.

Wednesday I got a massage. Which did help my body loosen up. I had this very young massage therapist will my muscles to release. Which was very different from my regular massage therapist (who is out of town) who is in her 50s and is firm but gentle. Alas, I needed a massage so I went to a local spot and I am glad I did. I am still a bit sore but by Sunday I will be all good.

SO my game plan for SUNDAY.
On Saturday I will be doing a bit of carb loading and eating a good amount of protein. I may eat a Five Guys :P though spaghetti is always a great carb loading meal....though i stay away from THAT much gluten.
I will be getting some Gu packs for the race at the Packet Picket up. Two years ago, I had some and come the bike part I will need one and then another one during the run/walk. I lost one Gu packet to sliding down my bike pants and being squished on my BUTT. :P that was quite a moment.

Here is my plan:
SWIM: This is my strongest suit. LOL not swimsuit but my strongest part of the race. I am a veteran swimmer who has done a race and knows that I am going to start on the outside to avoid kicks to the face and to look UP so I don't veer to far off course. I did the 500 yards in around 15 minutes last time and I want to do it in 10-12 minutes this year. The faster I get in and out of the water. The better this race goes. I really have done a great job training for the swim and I hope to shine in this area.

BIKE: My biggest regret in training is that I did not get to the bike course. It is slightly different than from two years ago. And it would put me at ease to know all the ins and outs. Alas, I didn't do this. That is ok. I did almost the same course two years ago. It is not an unknown completely. My strategy is to bike hard. I have a tendency to coast too much. I want to keep my heart rate up and keep going! Along with this my attitude is, HAVE FUN! Biking is so fun and it is the longest part of the race. So I am going to enjoy it. Last time, I sang a bit while biking. Cause I was pretty high on energy while racing. I most definitely will use the energy pack half way through to keep going.

RUN: This is my weak point. Two years ago, I did the run in 45 minutes. That is 15 minute miles. I am NOT a runner. And I have not built up much muscle for it training. My plan is to get my wobbly legs through the transition area fast. And then be a okay with fast walking when I tire out of this quick transit. My first Tri, I jogged and walked to the finish. I will go with this again. But I want to keep my walk FAST. If I walk I want to be walking at a 13 mile pace. Not 15 minute. I have a high school friend that will be at one of the water spots and I will focus on getting to see her!!!! That is the kidn of mental game you need to play. Find ways to break things up and get to the next goal.

MY GOAL: I hope to do this try in 2 hours flat. That is a 7 minute betterment from two years ago. which is kind of a big jump that means I need to swim FAST. And stay focused. If I don't do that. Hell, if I am slower as long as I FINISH. This is a win. I trained alright. And I am ready to have fun with this race.

I AM EXTREMELY NERVOUS. I feel nervous just to put together my gear. Being a poor artist means I don't have a ton of money on fear gear. As I like to call it. I don't have a special pair of race shoes. My swimsuit is from two years ago and so are my bike shorts that I will wear as swim bottoms. I worry that my goggles are going to leak cause I have used them all summer long in the pool That along with the emotion of my sister leaving...and the obvious if you have been reading this blog. When I signed up for this Sprint Tri. I had a partner that I thought would be there when I crossed the finish line. I could have kept that out of this. But...we don't do these things in a bubble. I had wanted to lose weight to feel good about being an attractive person to my partner. I had been excited to train with him. To bike ride. Swim. Even maybe run with him. Though neither of us are into that much. Instead I spent the summer alone. Training alone. Which is what I did two years ago.

I am a single woman who spent the summer training for Sunday.As a woman, you are not supposed to show vulnerability. WE need to be strong. Strong and not talk about our feelings. Cause then we are EMOTIONAL and IRRATIONAL and well kind of dumb. Well, here I am and I am sad, happy, tired, excited, stressed, and maybe a tiny bit happy. What I know for sure is I am 187 pounds of toned muscle, a pretty big belly, and a rad hair cut. Am I going to make it? Sure, cause I am a stubborn fighter.  My brain can't wrap around what it takes to finish Sunday. Even with this being my second tri. Some things are not understood they are felt and done. I am going to use every trick in the book to get my body and mind to get across the finish line. And that trick is my heart. I will think about my ex and it will make me kick harder, and cycle faster. I will think about my sister and how tough she is flying across the world while pregnant with two kids. (!!!) and I will think about all those people who make my heart fly. And then it will be over. I am going to take a few hours to celebrate and then the world keeps going.

Thanks for reading this series. If you want someone to coach you through your own fitness goal. I can help you do that. I am training as a wellness coach too. Let's have fun being fit together.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 11: Training is Healing

Fit & Fun: Curvy Lady Starts Training for Second Tri

Week 10: Migraines and Bike Rides