Tri Training Starting of Week 1

Great news! I didn't miss a week. Well I missed the PREP week. So I am ordering some new running shoes late. Thanks to a dear friend, I have some money on a gift card to Zappos. I will be ordering my fav running shoes from Brooks. I have been wearing Brooks for years and they fit my terribly FLAT feet well. Go to your local running store and have a sales person sell you a great pair of shoes that fit your feet correctly. When I don't have a gift card, I always buy from local running store.

So here is the run down of my first week: 
Monday: We started with a rest day!
Tuesday: SWIM DAY! I went a little overboard and did about 20 laps in the pool with out stopping. I didn't follow the training exactly. They wanted me to do some faster laps with rests. But since I hadn't been in the pool for awhile I just wanted to get myself in gear again. 
Wednesday: Today I had a migraine so I didn't do the workout instead I walked to and from the food coop. I am adjusting to working out and I listened to by body when it screamed out for rest. 
Thursday: The training has a tri clinic day I am not going to (as I am using last years training guide AND don't have the money for such things). I am getting in the pool again. I did the 4 x 25 reps that I was supposed to do Tuesday which felt really good. Makes me feel like an athlete to push myself by going faster. I six laps on intervals not four cause I got so in to it. AND cause I am never sure I remember this training plan correctly. 
Friday: REST DAY! 


FOOD: I made up a breakfast fruit salad with fresh cherries, oranges, grapefruit, and CASHEWS which is covered in greek yogurt. It is DELICIOUS and much better than some of the crap I was eating for breakfast the past two weeks. I did cut the cherries in half but the oranges and grapefruit came already peeled from the to go section. This breakfast is great for me cause it has the PROTEIN that can get me through to my late I work retail and eat at 230pm lunch.  I also grabbed a medium sized Jamba Juice with a protein boost three times this week. Again the protein boosts make it so I get enough calories to get me through to lunch.

Kale salad is one of my go to lunchtime meals. I have been grabbing some pre-made stuff at Whole Foods and throwing in some quinoa salad to keep me going. 

Dinner has been a weird meal for me lately. I just eat left overs or more of what I had at lunch. With training I am going to need to put more thought into what I make. As I am going to need the whole gamut of vitamins and minerals to have a healthy body that works well as I train. Making sure I get lots of leafy greens and less junk food to fuel my body.  

I made a sesame ginger marinated tofu with wild rice pilaf meal for Thursday and Friday's dinners and it was great. 

STRETCHING: Last time I trained for a Tri. I did a terrible job of stretching but a good job of getting massages. I can't really afford massages this time around. So I have to get good at stretching. I do have a great high density foam roller. Which I am going to need to use A LOT. On rest days I may look into a gentle yoga class. I am thinking about what I could do as a routine that would keep me limber. I will get back to you on what I think up. 

SELF CARE: FULL DISCLOSURE: I am about to get my period so I have eaten a bag of kettle chips as a meal. AND McDonald's. I think it is important to recognize when you are PMSing and that is a okay to balance out the healthy with the needs of PMS. I have had a terrible PMS headache as well. Which means that I push myself a little less. I walked instead of ran cause I was happy I get out and do anything at all when I couldn't even really be in bright light Thank goodness it was cloudy in St Paul that day.

INSPIRATION TO KEEP GOING: Hey, I did this once before. I can do it again. Is what I am starting out saying to myself. Also, my Grandfather is having another birthday. I am glad to be able to see him and celebrate his 80s with him. It is a fight as you age to have a fulfilling life. And my Grandpa Paul is a fighter.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 11: Training is Healing

Fit & Fun: Curvy Lady Starts Training for Second Tri

Week 10: Migraines and Bike Rides